Monday, June 1, 2009

Self-portrait and problems with a method

Incomplete

I attempted a self-portrait using Lichtenstein's method with a few of my own stylistic touches. I ran into some problems though. Lichtenstein used magna acrylic to fill in his solid colors and lines then stenciled his dots over top with oil to "give the dots the same weight" as the other shapes. I thought that was brilliant and wanted to attempt it. I ran into a problem though, I didn't have magna acrylic and the only acrylics that I see craft stores carrying are water-based. I decided to attempt the process with water based acrylic anyway as the oil would only be layered over and not under. The oil reacted with the acrylic in an undesirable way making it partially transparent and revealing perviously covered marks. I also think I should have used a stencil with wider spacing, the revealed white space was not enough to tone down the value of the red paint like I'd hoped, leaving my face looking, well, red. So problem solving that media issue and finding a dot stencil somewhere between my really big on and my really small one is now on my list of things to do.
Detail

The grey-ish spot above the eyebrow is what I meant by perviously covered marks showing through :(

No comments:

Post a Comment