Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Schedule updates and thoughts on performance painting.

The Kansas City show has been canceled but we will likely try to find a place to play in the area anyway. Also, Tulsa might be on the map now, I'll try to post if I find out for certain.

Wow, crazy couple of days, played Mansfield and Chicago and now we're hanging out in Des Moines before the show at Mars Cafe. I've made two paintings since my last post but I haven't had an opportunity to photograph them yet, so no images. The five paintings I've done and seven days I've been on the road has given me plenty to think about. I've noticed I'm pulling heavily upon my pop art influences. As a rule I don't plan any of the paintings out, I'll work on a concept earlier that day and possibly practice drawing some of the elements in it in my sketchbook, no marks on the canvas and no thumbnails. Most of the shows so far have been 30 minutes, I'm becoming more comfortable with paintings under a time limit and I've found it helps to work as dry as I can. I'm constantly running into things that didn't translate from my mind to the canvas the way I expected. Having to live with the mistake or completely change the painting is a decision I'm constantly faced with because of my time constraints, but it's good practice. Practice is really the thing I want the most out of this experience but I'v developed a few paintings too.
I'm also wrestling with weather I will further alter any of these paintings. Part of me feels like having some sort of record of the performace is the point and the paintings should be left as is, but another part of me sees lines, shapes and values that I want to alter. So I guess the question I'm asking is which is more importance: the finished product or the concept?

No comments:

Post a Comment